If you are a regular swimmer or just enjoy swimming in pools during the summer, it is important that you understand how Chlorine can impact your hair and your Hairprint True Color Restorer results.
What is Chlorine?
Chlorine is a disinfectant used in swimming pools and hot tubs. It is used to kill micro-organisms that grow in water.
What does it do to hair?
Chlorine is incredibly drying to hair and removes all of the natural sebum from the hair shaft and the scalp. Longterm exposure to Chlorine can result in brittle hair, breakage and dry scalp/dandruff. Those with light hair may experience their hair turning green-tinged from Chlorine exposure.
How does swimming and Chlorine exposure impact the Hairprint application and results?
To achieve the best results from your Hairprint True Color Restorer application the hair should be free of Chlorine before proceeding with the treatment.
Before your Hairprint True Color Restorer Application:
- If you can, avoid swimming for 2-3 days prior to application.
- 24 hours prior to your Hairprint application use our Chelating shampoo to remove traces of chlorine. Recommendation: Apply Chelating shampoo and leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse. If the hair feels sticky or oily, repeat. Use no other shampoo/conditioner/styling products.
Chlorine can make your Hairprint color fade very quickly or take on a green-tinge. It is best to protect the hair from Chlorine exposure in order to preserve your Hairprint True Color Restorer results.
After your Hairprint True Color Restorer Application:
- Avoid exposing the hair to Chlorine for at least 7 days after your Hairprint application.
- We highly recommend wearing a swim cap.
- You can also coat the hair in a thick deep conditioner or hair mask while swimming.
- Coat the hair in a nourishing oil to lock in color and moisture.
- Shower immediately and use the Chelating Shampoo and a rich conditioner or oil each time you expose your hair to Chlorine.